Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bittersweet

Pros:
-Obama is now our president
-First african american to be president!
-Conservation Amendment passed
-I'm safe, relatively uneffected (though my mom and dad are...) by the downturn in the economy and I have a wonderful boyfriend who is my soul mate.

Cons:
-Amendment 2 passed.... and Prop 8
-I fear for Obama's safety.
-Community college amendment and amendment 1 didn't pass? .... What gives? We need plain text descriptions on the ballot so people understand... The community college amendment was just an amendment to let us VOTE for an increase in funding... not automatic funding. Voting against voting? There weren't even any real opponents to the bill... this was a 50/50 slap dash vote I feel.
-Michael Crichton died. :( I had no idea he was sick. He's my favorite author. I have 3 more books left to read of his... and then there will be no more. I'm glad he was at least able to admit that he was wrong about global warming before he died. Very sad indeed.
- I have to get up early tomorrow.... for unpleasant reasons... not looking forward to it... i scared.


About the Pros:

I saw this pleasant looking chubby white male frolicking today shouting "Obama won!" High fiving himself and just being ecstatic.

I saw nations celebrating this monumental civil right moment on the television. Children and adults from Rome to China in jubilation.

I saw those fighting repression and depression in the US flock to the streets in joy

I saw young people care!!

I never felt so proud and just wanted to cry in joy. Nearly did if I wasn't so self conscious and so pessimistic at the same time. Watery eyes instead. I am a bit jaded and a little too wary to drink the koolaid.

You have my vote of faith Obama, don't let us down. I want to truely believe in a politician and a world leader.

About the Cons:

Things I don't understand:
-bigotry of all kinds
-wishing death on others
-fairness and how it relates to reality
-over population and medicine advances (a constant struggle for me... thanks Daniel Quin and Jason Burkett)
-anyone that thinks Obama is a muslim terrorist due to the facts (What facts?)

I saw a highschooler post that he "knows the facts" and that Obama went to flight school and is a practicing Muslim.... He then wished him dead. How are people raising their children? With such hatred in their heart and an inability to question what they hear and do fact checking? The fact is with Obama or McCain no one is going to get to this level of scrutiny... a step from being the president to being the president with lying about major details of their background... It is all outlandish smeer tactics. Media is too pervasive for that.

Took a lot of restraint not to post a correction, but really I was not part of the discussion. And others were negating him.

In CA they passed prop 8, which most likely will be repealed anyway due to being unconstitutional (it calls for past same sex marriages to be retroactively nullified which could be considered double jeopardy.)

People are saying that time is on our side and that in the end we still made great strives and I'm trying to be optimistic. 5 years a go a law passed in CA similar to Prop 8. 62% voted yes. Yesterday 52% voted in Prop 8. A ten percent decrease in supporters in 5 years is a great strive and lgbt supporters should be proud.

Anyway I need a little break from heart break... from perhaps caring too much (I take it to personal). Though I vow never to get behind on my current events again.

I can't wait for Jan. 20th!

- S

No comments: